Kennametal Tap Test
A local contract manufacturer.
The customer was tapping a "blind hole" in 17-4PH stainless steel and felt they were not getting apporiate productivity and tool life. They were using a high speed steel "OSG" 10-32 2B tap with an oxide coated surface.
H&C Tool Supply recommended they test a Kennametal tap with a chromium carbide carbon (CRCC) coating. Kennametal technicians came to thier facility and ran a test.
The customer was very pleased with the results of the test:
- SPEEDS AND FEEDS WERE MORE THAN DOUBLED
- TAPPING CYCLE WAS REDUCED FROM 1.06 MINUTES TO .443 MINUTES
- TAP LIFE INCREASED FROM 164 HOLES PER TAP TO 1000 PER TAP
- TAP USAGE PER YEAR ON THIS JOB WENT FROM 25 TAPS TO 4 TAPS
- COST PER PIECE WENT FROM $1.73 TO $0.66
- THERE WERE 24 HOURS OF MACHINE TIME FREED PER YEAR AS WELL
The cost of the "OSG" tap was $15.86 per tap.
The Kennametal tap cost was $36.92 per tap.
The increased production and increased tool life, more than offset initial tooling cost.
H&C Tool Supply would be more than happy to help you reduce your costs as well!